You are here



The IAR is the second oldest ornithological station in the world. An overview of it's history in a time table:

1837             Heinrich Gätke (1814-1897) moves to Helgoland.

1847             Gätke starts keeping an ornithological journal.

1891             Gätke publishes his book „Die Vogelwarte Helgoland“.

1909             Dr. Hugo Weigold (1886-1973) initiates the first Helgoland research project.

1910             Dr. Weigold is officially installed as an ornithological researcher on the 1st of April. This date is now seen as the date of the initiation of the "Ornithological station Helgoland", now the IAR.

1924             Prof. Dr. Rudolf Drost (1892-1971) becomes the successor of Weigold.

1944             Prof. Dr. Drost leaves Helgoland.

1947             The IAR moves to Wilhelmshaven.

1953             Dr. Wolfgang Jungfer (1913-1999) resumes work at Helgoland.

1956             Dr. Gottfried Vauk (1925-2015) becomes the new leader of the Island station.

1957             The first research house is built on Helgoland.

1975             Dr. Dieter Moritz obtains a position as the second scientist on Helgoland. This position is maintained when Dr Moritz has to resign for medical reasons in 1996.

1988             Dr. Vauk leaves the Island station.

1989             Dr. Ommo Hüppop takes up leadership of the Island station.

2012             Dr. Hüppop moves to Wilhelmshaven, from where he continues his scientific leadership of the Island station, while Dr. Jochen Dierschke becomes the technical leader of the Island station.


Context Column

Heinrich Gätke
(1814 - 1897)

Dr. Hugo Weigold
(1886 - 1973)

Dr. Rudolf Drost
(1892 - 1971)


Dr. Gottfried Vauk
(1925 - 2015)